The International Franchise Association held a convention in Washington this week where most of the Radio Shack, Dunkin Donuts, Curves and other franchisers were grumbling about new federal regulations, especially the impact of Obamacare.
Most, said Atlanta Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken franchiser David Barr, presumed that the reports about how hard Obamacare will hit them were overblown. “They had their head in the sand,” he told Secrets.
That is until he pulled out his powerpoint showing how funding Obamacare will cut his–and likely their–profits in half overnight. With simple math the small business folks understood, he spelled out that their only choice is to slash employee hours so they aren’t eligible for company-paid health care or stop offering insurance and pay the $2,000 per employee fine.
Barr has 23 stores with 421 employees, 109 of whom are full-time. Of those, he provides 30 with health insurance. Barr said he pays 81 percent of their Blue Cross Blue Shield policy, or $4,073 of $5,028 for individuals, more for families, for a total bill of $129,000 a year. Employees pay $995.
Under Obamacare, however, he will have to provide health insurance for all 109 full-time workers, a cost of $444,000, or two and half times more than his current costs. That $315,000 increase is equal to just over half his annual profit, after expenses, or 1.5 percent of sales. As a result, he said, “I’m not paying $444,000.”
Providing no insurance would result in a federal fine of $158,000, $29,000 more than he now spends but the lowest cost possible under the Obamacare law. So he now views that as his cap and he’ll either cut worker hours or replace them with machines to get his costs down or dump them on the public health exchange and pay the fine. “Every business has a way to eliminate jobs,” he said, “but that’s not good for them or me.”
But that’s not all. His experience tells him that most low-wage workers he would have to cover under Obamacare won’t take it because their $995 share is too high, meaning those the program was set up for won’t see any benefit. And those who do will because they have major health issues, likely resulting in higher premiums to him.
- The Words That Sent the Stock Market Tumbling May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- U.S. Acknowledges Killing 4 Americans in Drone Strikes May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- REPORT: ESPN to Layoff Hundreds May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- Do You Think They Might Have a Little Price Inflation in Ghana? May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- Austria Turns Rat Fink May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- Rand Paul Defends Apple May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- Charlie Shrem of BitInstant Talks Bitcoin with Perianne Boring May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- 8 Pressure Stock Pitches Stockbrokers at John Thomas Financial Might Use on You May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- Man Killed by FBI Agent Knew Tamerlan Tsarnaev May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- Rapp Song Puts Massachusetts Teenager Behind Bars Without Bail for Weeks -- Facing Terrorism Charges and 20 Years in Prison May 22, 2013 Robert Wenzel
- Astounding Gold News From India and China May 22, 2013Jim Rogers tells Lew Rockwell about his adventures on the road and in the markets.
- 6 Stages of the Libertarian Movement May 22, 2013An historic talk from Murray Rothbard, in print for the first time.
- The Psycho-Police State May 22, 2013John Whitehead on targeting Brandon Raub.
- We Need Private Pinkertons May 22, 2013Not government cops, says Gary Gibson.
- The Economy's Not a Machine To Be Tinkered With May 22, 2013Bill Bonner on the fatal flaw of Keynesianism.
- 9 Shots, .380 Caliber, 3D Printed Gun May 22, 2013$25. Article by Andy Greenberg.
- The Most Hated Asset Class May 22, 2013It's official: it's gold, says Pater Tenebrarum.
- Parabolic Blowoff Ahead May 22, 2013Ignore the brainwashing by the Ministry of Disinformation on stocks, gold and silver, says Clive Maund.
- She Refused To Be a Victim Again May 22, 2013Home invader is confronted by loaded .357. Article by Jennifer Cruz.
- Limit Salt? May 22, 2013Nonsense, says David Brownstein, MD.
- Astounding Gold News From India and China May 22, 2013
- Mises U on Forbes.com May 22, 2013 Mises Updates
- New Austrian Journal May 21, 2013 Mark Thornton
- Austrian Banking May 21, 2013 Mark Thornton
- Thomas Sowell on Why the Intelligencia Pay No Price for Being Wrong May 18, 2013 Christopher Westley
- Was Marx Right? May 18, 2013 Hunter Lewis
- Fed Bank President Targets Unemployment Targeters May 17, 2013 Joseph Salerno
- David Stockman Seminar in NYC May 17, 2013 Joseph Salerno
- William H. Peterson May 16, 2013 Mark Thornton
- Paul’s World May 16, 2013 Peter G. Klein
- Bring on the Helicopter Money–and Gut the Fed May 15, 2013 Joseph Salerno
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- May 2013
- April 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009